Sour Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake

Sour Cherry Coffee Cake
Yesterday we had a friend stop over for coffee in the afternoon. Luckily for him, he gave us a couple of hour notice. So a coffee cake was born.

I was inspired by a Martha Stewart Blueberry Coffee to come up with this one. Plus I was able to use a pound of frozen sour cherries from last summer.

As the super amazing cherry pitter I bought last summer in Cologne is not quite get all of the pits out I did have to break open each frozen cherry to ensure all of the pits were removed. My better option for a cherry pitter is here.

For this recipe I used:
Cake
2 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Cardamom
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
10 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Whey Low Granulated Sugar Substitute
3 Large Eggs
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Greek Style Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Pound Pitted Sour Cherries
Topping
1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
12 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter

It was a good one...although I would use cake flour for the cake next time.
I heated the oven to 350 degrees and lined an 8" square baking pan with parchment paper.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Lined Pan
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt and set aside.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - The Dry Ingredients
In the mixer, I creamed the butter and the Whey Low sugar for 3 or 4 minutes. Then added the eggs one at at time followed by the vanilla.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Creaming the  Butter and Whey Low
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Creamed until Light and Fluffy
I mixed in the sour cream and yogurt until well combined.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake -Adding Sour Cream and Yogurt
Then I added the flour mixture until just about mixed. I removed the bowl from the mixer and finished by hand. The mixture is quite stiff.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake -Adding the Flour Mixture
I then out the mix into the lined pan and spread it out into the corners followed by putting the cherries on top in an even layer.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Adding the Sour Cherries
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake -All of the Sour Cherries
After blending the crumb topping ingredients with my hands I topped the cake.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Crumb Topping
The off to the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes (your mileage may vary).
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - In the Oven
It cooled on a rack for 10 minutes until I turned it out to fully cooled.
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Cooling
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake - Ready to Eat
As our guest arrived a little earlier than planned. I did cut the cake in quarters while it was really hot and then cut it into 4 pieces again and let it cool 10 more minutes. Still warm is was great. Letting it sit for a day it will be even better!

Makes 1 big piece or 16 smaller ones. :)

Labels: ,