New Things! and a Spiced Pumpkin Cake

This week I received my new Kitchen Aid 600 Watt 6 Quart Mixer.  It is very nice.

For my first project with the new toy I decided to make something pumpkin. I found 2 large cans of pumpkin in the cupboard when I moved. Although it is spring, or even summer, across the continent here in the Pacific Northwest a rainy spring has been lingering. It is so bad this month is being nicknamed June-uary. So in celebration of June-uary I made a Spiced Pumpkin Cake - a Martha Stewart recipe.

For this recipe I used:

For the Cake:
4 Cups Cake Flour
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
4 Tablespoons Buttermilk Powder
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
2 1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
4 Large Eggs
1 Cup Water
1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin Puree

Frosting
1 Cup Icing Sugar
1 Teaspoon Milk

Spiced Pumpkin Cake
More after the jump....
After preheating the oven to 350˚, I sprayed a bunt pan with oil and lightly floured it.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - Floured Bunt Pan
I sifted all of the dry ingredients together and set them aside.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - The Dry Ingredients
In the bowl of the mixer I creamed the butter and brown sugar using the paddle attachment for 4 minutes, scraping the bowl twice.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake -  Creaming the Butter & Sugar
After scraping the bowl again I added the eggs one by one mixing thoroughly after each egg. The mixture looked a little gritty.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake -  Adding the Eggs
After scraping the bowl I added 1/3 of the dry ingredients followed by 1/3 of the water. After scraping down the bowl I repeated 2 more times.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - First Flour Addition
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - After the last of the liquid
After a quick scrape of the bowl to ensure everything was mixed I poured the batter into the prepared pan. I baked the cake for 55 minutes as the recipe said but I ended up needing another 12 minutes - total 1 hour 7 minutes - until the toothpick test came out clean.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - In the pan
After cooling the cake for a couple of hours I topped the cake with the icing and let the cake sit again.
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - After cooling
Then we tried it!
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - Its on the list to try again
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - The Ingredients
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - After measuring everything out
Spiced Pumpkin Cake - Just out of the Pan

Labels: ,